Rotterdam is a city brimming with life. Famous for its large port, trendy nightlife and architectural prowess, this city is one of the most culturally diverse in Europe. Much less touristy than its old-fashioned counterpart Amsterdam, Rotterdam’s city centre was destroyed during the second world war and replaced by cutting-edge architecture. Because it’s such a young city, it’s also very budget-friendly; making it a great place to visit with children. So, we have developed the ultimate guide of places to see in Rotterdam and things to do in Rotterdam with kids.
Purchase a Rotterdam Welcome Card do receive discounts at a variety of attractions, museums, restaurants and nightlife. On top of these awesome benefits you can have unlimited travel for 1, 2 or 3 consecutive days by bus, tram or RET metro.
History of Rotterdam
What do we know about the history of Rotterdam?
- It’s the second largest city of the Netherlands
- It’s the largest port city in Europe
- The population exceeds 600,000
- It’s home to Feyenoord Football Club
Places to see in Rotterdam
- At 800m long and 139m high, this bridge has become one of the most iconic places to see in Rotterdam. It’s worth stopping by and taking a picture at this landmark! Having these picture-perfect memories is one of the most sentimental things to do in Rotterdam with kids and will remind you of your great family holiday on Rotterdam for years to come!
- Address: Erasmusbrug 1, 3072 AP Rotterdam
- Become mesmerised by the sprawling artwork across the extraordinary horseshoe ceiling of De Markthal. Not only will Rotterdam markthal become a shelter from the rain if necessary (and with Dutch weather, the odds are high!), there are around 100 fresh food stands that are heavenly to meander around and one of the yummiest places to see in Rotterdam. Be sure to try a fresh ‘stroopwafel’ a warm wafer cookie filled with caramel!
- Address: Ds. Jan Scharpstraat 298, 3011 GZ Rotterdam
- Perhaps the most famous icon in Rotterdam and an essential part of the skyline, the Euromast is a one of the necessary places to see in Rotterdam. Step in the Euroscoop rotating glass elevator and go no less than 185m into the air – you are guaranteed to fall in love with the city when viewing it from above! On clear days you can enjoy a view that stretches as far as 20 miles into the distance. This is one of the most adrenaline-inducing things to do in Rotterdam with kids.
- Address: Parkhaven 20, 3016 GM Rotterdam
- Designed and constructed by architect Piet Blom in the 70’s, these unique houses are intended to represent a forest, with each house being a tree. Due to the angled structure, only ¼ of the floor space is usable! It is no lie to state that these cubic houses are one of the more curious places to see in Rotterdam. The unique design is sure to entertain the whole family and make for a fun stop during your tour of the city.
- Address: Overblaak 70, 3011 MH Rotterdam
Kinderdijk Windmills (UNESCO World Heritage)
- What is the one thing you think of when you think of the Netherlands? That’s right – windmills! Who wouldn’t want to discover some of the remaining 991 windmills that there are left in the country? The village of Kinderdijk is reachable by a direct waterbus from Rotterdam in 30minutes. This goes to show that some of the best places to see in Rotterdam aren’t in the city centre!
- Address: Molenkade Nederwaard 1b, 2961 AS Kinderdijk
Things to do in Rotterdam with Kids
- Diergaarde Blijdorp, otherwise known as Rotterdam Zoo, is the one of the greatest things to do in Rotterdam with kids. Awarded Most Beautiful Zoo in the Benelux award two years in a row, it is a must-visit activity that the kids will love and a great way to spend the day.
- Address: Blijdorplaan 8, 3041 JG Rotterdam
- Have you ever wished time to go faster? Well this wish can come true at Miniworld Rotterdam where one day lasts 24 minutes. Although this place is an exciting adventure for the whole family, it is one of the best things to do in Rotterdam with kids as it’s sure to ignite wonder in your children’s eyes the most.
- Address: Weena 745, 3013AL Rotterdam
- Being the largest port city in Europe, Rotterdam has a lot of maritime history to discover. At the Maritime Museum Rotterdam, you can go on a maritime journey and experience how the city became the world’s leading port. Children have not been forgotten about at Maritime Museum Rotterdam with an abundance of family and child friendly exhibitions. Especially for children aged from 4 to 10 there is a “Professional Splash” exhibition, where children can learn about port-related tasks in the best way: playing! This is one of the most fun things to do in Rotterdam with kids, whilst also educational.
- Address: Leuvehaven 1, 3011 EA Rotterdam
- Unlike some of the more built up cities, such as Amsterdam, it is easy to find a child-friendly park in Rotterdam. Perhaps one of the best things to do in Rotterdam with kids is visiting Plaswijck Park. This family park with a large adventure playground and a zoo! Almost comparable to a theme park, children will be occupied every minute that you are there. It is the perfect place for them to let their imagination run wild and really have fun.
- Address: Ringdijk 20, 3053 KS Rotterdam
- Experience a city tour like no other with Splash Tours Rotterdam. Climb aboard the amphibian bus and explore great places in the city before splashing into the Maas River and enjoying a cruise with incredible views of the city skyline! This amphibian vessel is no doubt going to intrigue all children; therefore, it is one of the most fun things to do in Rotterdam with kids.
- Address: Parkhaven 9, 3016 GM Rotterdam
Rotterdam Attractions Map
Where to eat in Rotterdam
If you were wondering where to eat in Rotterdam that are also child-friendly places, this website has a shortlist of the best locations in the city.
Our top tip for where to eat in Rotterdam, especially with children, is the pannenkoekenboot (pancake boat). Have you ever wondered how many pancakes you can eat in 2.5 hours? Now’s your chance to find out by cruising around Rotterdam while eating as much as you want! As may be expected, children love this concept, which is why we recommend it as one of the yummiest things to do in Rotterdam with kids.
Address: Parkhaven 13, 3016 GM Rotterdam